- Pulikali is a popular folk art originated from the state of Kerala, the word Pulikkali comes from the Malayalam language which means “tiger play”.
- This folk art is associated with the festival of Onam which is an annual harvest festival of Kerala.
- On the celebrations of Nalaam Onam (4th day of celebration), this folk art is performed by trained artists who are colorfully dressed as tigers & hunters.
- Udukku & Thakil are the instruments used during this festival to play the beats on which people dance and enjoy.
- The basic theme of the festival is tiger hunting which is usually performed in the Thrissur district.
- Pulikali groups called ‘sangams’ come to a common meeting point once the body painting of the participants is over, this common point is Vadakkunnathan Temple.
- Some rituals are performed here and then the dance, music, and performances of the play begin.
- They are surrounded by the local crowd from all sides and are cheered up all the time by claps, shouting, and whistles as well.
- For a photographer, this is the most suitable time where he can capture a lot of dynamic events happening around him. You can also get some creative shots of streets and portraits as well.
Thrissur is the nearest railway station, about a kilometer away.
Cochin has the neatest airport which is about 58 km from Thrissur.
There are many buses available to Thrissur from all major cities nearby to the place.
There is a huge variety of food in Thrissur which varies from being mind to sweet & to spicy as well.
BEST 9 DISHES TO TRY IN THRISSUR ARE:
- Meen Porichathu
- Mixed Vegetable Avial
- Banana Chips
- Malabar Mutton Biriyani
BEST 10 RESTAURANTS IN THRISSUR ARE:
- Hotel Bharat
- Royal Court by Joys Palace
- Clay Oven
- Noorjehan's Hotpan Restaurant
- Sree Radhakrishna Prasada
- Kalyan Veg Platter
- Ayush Veg
- Madurai Vegetarian
- Ming Palace Chinese Restaurant
BEST 10 CHEAP EATS IN THRISSUR ARE:
- Indian Coffee House
- Chennai Ananda Bhavan
- Womens food Court
- Roastown Global Grill
- Thrissivaperoor Kaapi Club
- Mani's Restaurant, Thrissur Round
- Delite bakery
- The Egg Stop
- Alankar Restaurant & Tourist Home
- Vasuettante Kada
BEST 5 HOTELS IN THRISSUR ARE:
- Joys Palace
- Hotel Pooram International
- OYO 23503 Golden Valley Residency
- Treebo Trip Ammu Regency
BEST 10 PLACES TO VISIT IN THRISSUR ARE:
- Athirappilly Waterfalls
- Vadakkunnathan Temple
- Snehatheeram Beach
- Sobha City Mall
- Chavakkad Beach
- Kerala Kalamandalam
- Thiruvambadi Krishna Shrine
- Paramekavu Bhagavathy Temple
- Thiruvanchikulam Mahadeva Temple
- Shakthan Thampuran Palace