- Kolayat is one of the most important pilgrimage destinations in Rajasthan for Hindu folks that lies 51 kilometres from Bikaner and is famous for the holy Kolayat lake.
- The area where the pious lake is situated is called by the name Kolayat, originally named Koaystan after Sage Kapil Muni.
- The lake has a huge significance in the lives of people of Bikaner. As per a Mythology, a great sage named Kapil Muni, believed to be an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, had meditated in Kolayat for the redemption of mankind.
- There is also a shrine dedicated to the sage Kapil Muni on a particular Ghat of Kolayat town that is named after him. It's called the Kapil Muni Ghat. The town is renowned for the annual Kolayat Fair.
- Kolayat Festival is one of the magnificent fairs celebrated in the historical state of Rajasthan. The festival is named after the great Kolayat lake, situated in Bikaner, around which the festivities take place.
- Kapil Muni Ghat forms the epicentre of the festivities of the fair. All the other fifty-one ghats surrounding the Kolayat lake are also included in the celebrations.
- Devotees from around the globe gather on these fifty-two Ghats and take dips in the holy lake. Doing so is considered very auspicious especially on the day of the full-moon of Kartik month, around which the festival is held.
- Devotees make offerings made of coconut, sugar cubes, and dry fruits to the sage, to extend their participation in the Aarti
- Later in the evening, all the visitors attend the grand evening or Sandhya Aarti where lighted oil-lamps are floated in the sacred lake. This ritual is called Deep-Malika. Thousands of lighted lamps float on the still waters of the lake creating a vista resembling that of stars on the dark sky of a clear night.
- The event is quite a spectacle and not surprisingly, experiences a heavy footfall of tourists. The vibe is truly magical. Musicians, folk dancers, acrobats lighten up the spirits and entertain the guests in old ways.
- Jodhpur Airport is the nearest airport Bikaner. It is well equipped with the latest airport facilities.
- Regular flights take off from Bikaner to major cities of the country like Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai.
- One can take flights from Delhi to Jodhpur, Jaipur to Jodhpur and from other major cities in Rajasthan to reach Bikaner.
- Taxis and buses are available at an effective price from the airport to reach Kolayat.
- An excellent network of railways connects Bikaner to different major and minor parts of the country through railways.
- Bikaner Junction and Lalgarh Railway Station are the nearest Railway stations located at a distance of 6 km from each other.
- These two stations connect Bikaner to major Indian cities such as Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Punjab, Kolkata, Mumbai, Jodhpur, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Guwahati.
- Kolayat is 54 Km from Bikaner. From the railway station, tourists can hire taxis or buses to reach Kolayat.
- Kolayat is well-connected by a network of roads which makes your journey to the fair a comfortable one.
- State-run and private buses all over the city can help visitors to reach their destinations.
- Apart from buses, there are also various other means of public transport like autos, cabs, etc that can be availed.
Let us take you through the streets of Patna during the Chhath Puja for the rarest lip-smacking dishes in your budget so that when you visit, you don't have to think before you eat!
Budget-Friendly Food Stalls-
- DIAMOND BAKERI & JUICE- Address: MDR 37, Kolayat
- RADHE GOVIND SWEET CENTER- Address: MDR 37, Kolayat
- CHHOTU MOTU JOSHI SWEET SHOP- Address: Station Road, Bikaner
- HEERA LAL SWEET SHOP- Address: Opposite Railway Station, Bikaner
- HANG AROUND ZONE- Address: Rani Bazar, Near Varsha Ritu Bakery, Bikaner
- CHHAPPAN BHOG- Address: 45, Rani Bazaar, Near Income Tax Office, Bikaner
- CHOUDHARY HOTEL- Address: Kolayat, Rajasthan 334302
Satiate your hunger pangs-
- GANAPATI BIKANER FAST FOOD CORNER- Address: Kolayat; Rajasthan
- SHREE NAAGNECHI MATA RESTAURANT KOTRI- Address: Bikaner NH-15, Suratgarh - Bikaner Road, Kotri
- SAI HOTEL- Address: Gajner Road; Gajner; Bikaner
- SHRI KARNI MAA BHOJANALIYA- Address: Barsingsar - Palana - Bikaner Rd; Palana
- MIRAGE RESTAURANT- Address: Gajner Palace Hotel, PO Gajner, Kolagat,Gajner
- KINGS PAVILLION RESTAURANT- Address: Hotel Palace View, Lallgarh Palace Campus
- RESTAURANT THE RAJPUT- Address: Bhairon Vilas Hotel, Near Junagarh Fort
- LAXMI NIWAS PALACE- Address: Dr Karni Singhji Road, Bikaner, Rajasthan,
- THE GARDEN CAFE & RESTAURANT- Address: Ratan Bihari Temple, On K.E.M. Road, Bikaner
- RENDEZVOUS- Address: Near Lalgarh Palace, Bikaner
- GALLOPS- Address: Junagarh Fort Area, Bikaner
- GRILL INN- Address: 25-Gurukripa Complex, Panchsati Circle, Sadul Gunj
Rs 600-800 per night
- SHRI RAM HERITAGE HOTEL- Address: A - 228, Sardul Ganj, near Dungar college, Bikaner
- GUEST HOUSE JAMNA VILAS- Address: Railway Station 2nd Gate, Near Alakh Sagar Well, Bikaner
- HOTEL LALJI- Address: Hotel Lalji Station Road near Kote Gate,Bikaner
Rs 1000-1200 per night
- SURAJ HOTEL- Address: Near Railway Station, Rani Bazar, Bikaner,
- RAO BIKAJI CAMEL SAFARI RESORT- Address: Pemasar road via raisar, Bikaner - Agra road, Bikaner
- HOTEL BANWARI PALACE- Address: Ground Floor, Yadav Complex, Near Railway Station, Rani Bazar, Bikaner
Rs 1300-1500 per night
- HOTEL MARUDHAR PALACE- Address: Kanta Khaturia Street,Near Fortis Hospital,Next to ASG Eye Hospital, Rani Bazar, Bikaner
- HOTEL MEGH MOUNT - Address: NH-89, Bikaner Road, Rajput Colony, Bikaner
- HOTEL KISHAN PALACE - Address: 8-B, Gajner- Jaisalmer Road, In Front of Maharani Girls Hostel, Bikaner
Must try Food :
If you have visited Kolayat for Kolayat Fair, you must surely try these lip-smacking dishes.
- Dal Bati Churma - Traditional Food of Rajasthan
- Bikaneri Bhujia
- Mawa Kachori
- Kalmi Vada
- Kesar Fini
- Gatte Ki Sabzi
- Rajasthani Thali
- Laal Maas
- Churma Ladoo
- Kapil Muni Ghat
- Kolayat Lake
Nearby Places Worth Visiting
- Junagarh Fort: A Blend Of Mughal & Gujarati Architecture
- Lalgarh Palace: In The Lap Of Luxury
- Laxmi Niwas Palace: Former Abode Of Maharaja Ganga Singh
- Gajner Palace & Wildlife Sanctuary: The Blissful Getaway
- Rampuria Haveli: Traverse Bikaner Lanes
- Bikaji Ki Tekri: The Oldest Structure
- Sadul Singh Museum: Witness The History
- Prachina Museum: See The Artworks
- Ganga Singh Museum: Explore The Historical Artwork
- imperial art gallery
- Gajner Lake: Paddle In The Water
- Gajner Palace: Witness The History
- Devi Kund Sagar: Explore Royal Cenotaphs
- Sursagar Lake: Paddle In The Water